5 Users
0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

^long subject.

So here's my problem.

I'm singing Sunshine of Your Love right, and I think I do a good job with it. I'm singing all the parts, both Clapton's and Bruce's.

However, my only problem comes with Bruce's last lines before the chorus. It isn't the change in pitch, it's that "I'll be with you when the stars start falling." and the "I'll stay with you till my seas are dried up." . The voice line and the guitar line are very different. When I sing this when I'm not playing, I can do it perfectly. I can do the rest of the song perfect (good enough anyways) when I'm playing, but this one line messes me up.

What is the DEAl with this?

Thanks,

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

From the singing and playing perspective, are the vocal/chord changes unusual/off beat?

I am unfamiliar with the song, but more often than not, you have to feel the change musically.

:?:

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Tracker, thanks for the reply.

The chord changes are normal, with the beat.

The vocals go crazyyyyy. Well not crazy, but it's Jack Bruce so you know ;) Actually, you don't. It's hard to describe, but they are very different. Again, I can do it fine when I'm not playing. When I am playing ,it's the only two lines in the song I can't sing.

Thanks again for the repsponse Tracker.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Again, I can do it fine when I'm not playing. When I am playing ,it's the only two lines in the song I can't sing.

Have you tryied to thumb strum it? Don't 'play' it? Is there more emotion in those two lines that that is not 'normal' in the rest of the song?

I find that when I have to put more emotion into my singing, I lose track of my strumming. It's a work in progress.

How many times have you played and sang the song together?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Get yourself a piece of paper.

Write down the lyrics nice and evenly spaced. Now listen to the music and place slashes in the lyrics at the chord changes.

Grab ye trusty guitar and play through the line super slowly so you can match vocals with your hand movement on the guitar.

Isolating troublesome lines like this is something I do all the time.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

In what way does it mess you up?
Do you get off rythm? or?
Thinking of the song. (first song I learned way back when I played bass)
In those lines the vocals are slightly off key from the music. I think it was done that way to add some tension but I could be wrong.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Tracker, yeah, the emotion in his voice definitly increases at this point in this song. I think I've played the song over a hundred times. I think I've played and sang around 40 times, give or take a few thousand.

Nick...When it comes to singing, I usually wouldn't listen to you...But your new avatar is so cool, I have no choice. ;) Kidding, thanks for the advice, I'll try that out.

Missleman- Good question, I should have explained earlier. Basically, either my fingers try to go where my voice is going, or my voice tries to go where the fingers are going. haha.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I don't sing but I do play that song sometimes and that dude's voice seems to not match the guitars. Never quite understood what was going on there in the part you are talking about.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote