Hello people!
I'm a Pearl Jam fan and I found this tuning in the song 'daughter':

D
B
G
C
G
E

Just wonder if anyone knows the fancy technical name for it?

Thanks

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

If you need a fancy name, it's an open Cmaj9 chord (C-E-G-B-D)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

Noteboat,

This might be a good place to explain the difference between a Cadd9 versus a Cmaj9. And since you are the expert in the area of music theory, I'll let you do just that... if you don't mind. If I did it you'd have to correct something or add something to it anyway.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Sure thing, johnnyt :)

Any chord with 9, 11, or 13 in it presumes there's some kind of 7 as well. If the chord says 'maj9' that means the 7 is a major 7 (the natural 7th); if it just says C9, it's a b7, making it a dominant chord.

For chords where there isn't a seventh, the term 'add' is used. Instead of counting up to 9 (1-3-5-7-9), we skip from the triad to the ninth (1-3-5-9).

So Cadd9 is a C chord with a ninth added, C-E-G-D (the D can fall in any octave - it's not 'add 2' in one octave and 'add 9' in another, a common confusion). A C9 is 1-3-5-b7-9, C-E-G-Bb-D... and a Cmaj9 is 1-3-5-7-9, or C-E-G-B-D.

The 'maj' refers only to the 7th. A Cm9 would be 1-b3-5-b7-9 (the 'm' refers to the 3rd)... if you want a minor third and a major 7th, it'd be Cm/maj9.

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

Couldn't have said it better, that's why I didn't even try.

Thanks!

P.S. > Do you have any samples of your book? Like maybe the Table of Contents or something? It interested me to possiby use as a source for music theory with my beginner guitar students.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yep, the table of contents is on my website... Table of Contentsl. At some point I'll put up a sample chapter... one of those things on the 'to-do' list that I just haven't gotten around to yet :)

(edited cause I screwed up typing in the page address!)

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

Yeah I'd be interested in looking at Chapters 2, 5, 14, 17, 19 & 20... or just having a better idea of what exactly is in those chapters.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote