Clear all

Possible with a pick?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I think this might be a dumb question, but that never stopped me before...

I've got some tabs in a book with "split chords", where some of the strings in the middle are unplayed. This is not a book dealing with fingerpicking, nor does the tab description or intro say anything about fingerpicking. My thought is that maybe there's a way to play these kinds of chords with a pick, but I'm not sure how. Imagine an A-shaped barred chord where the 5th string is unplayed, for instance. With all 4 fretting fingers involved in the played strings, how do you mute the 5th string (or avoid playing it?). Is there some technique I'm not familiar with here?

Or am I wrong, and there is some implied understanding that if there are split chords, you must fingerpick it?

(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

A lot of times I just mute it with my fretboard fingers if possible otherwise I use "pick & fingers."

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

If I need to mute a string in the middle of a chord then I use an adjacent finger if possible. For the 5th string I might use finger on the 4th string and let it hang over enough to mute or a finger on the 6th string and angle it back enough. It just has to touch it enough to stop it from ringing.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

What both tinsmith and hyperborea said is a very effective method of muting strings. It is a method that i use a lot....

......sadly on strings that i shouldn't be muting :oops: :oops:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

Ha! that genuinley made me laugh - quite an achievement when im at work. :lol:

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote